Terrorists have been busy not only with orchestrating attacks, but learning about cyber warfare as well. They have learned to expertly use the Internet in the following areas:
- Data Mining (Extracting and using patterns from data)
- Recruitment and Mobilization
- Distribution of Instructions and Online Manuals
- Organization and Planning
- Steganography (Hiding data inside other data)
- Attacking Other Terrorists
Information for attacks is obtained through email, government and business sites, chat rooms, messaging, digital mapping, social networks, and pro-jihad related sites. At last count, there were over 5000 pro-jihad sites in cyberspace where future terrorists can obtain information for their activities.